Friday, January 4, 2008

A Historic First . . .

of sorts. First, let me set up this historic event for you. Yesterday, after a 2-hour delay, I actually made it into my classroom 20 minutes earlier than normal . . . not a "first" but I have certainly gotten a tad lazy lately and have been squeaking into my classroom right under the wire. One other little fact needs to be mentioned here, and just to let you all in on my dirty little secret, so far this year I have gone from having 3 students on my roster, to having 4 students, back to 3, and finally, about 6 weeks ago, down to 2. So low and behold yesterday, by 9:45 AM I had received a phone call that one of my students would be spending a short vacation at our local juvenile detention center . . . definitely not a "first" since I teach kids with behavior problems and this happens at least once a year to one or more of my students. Then by 9:50, when my other student should have arrived, he was a no show. Folks, that meant I had zip, zero, nada students to educate yesterday! So that's my first for you, not earth shattering or anything major like finding a cure for cancer, but a historic first for me nonetheless.

Now don't think I sat around playing with my thumbs all day, I actually got a whole lot accomplished. Over the next couple of weeks I will be getting 2 more students and because of some of the disciplines these 2 students will be bringing with them, I am once again going to have an aide. So most of yesterday was spent rearranging my room, moving bookcases, and generally getting ready for 3 additional bodies. Over break I was wondering when I was going to have time to get this work done and lo and behold, there it was!

Well, I had best get moving. Friday is always Jean Day at work, so it's already shaping up to be a great day! Have a good one everyone!

No comments: